Just a late night thought

I was thinking about this tonight and I felt like writing an entry.

I was told once, by the teacher who first introduced me to jewelry-making, that it is important not to make a piece of jewelry just for the sake of a pretty stone, but to rather find a way to incorporate it into a complete design, celebrating the artistic nature of the metal as well as the stone. That this was the distinction between a work of art that is worn and something considered simply "Tiffany's Jewelry."

While that statement is an opinion and I respect those who create jewelry around gemstones, I strive to achieve that "wearable art" idea - it is my core philosophy.

Are there any thoughts about it?

Comments

  1. When I was learning to make jewelry, I never learned to think of is as "wearable art". Now I feel as though each piece is a little extension of my personality that has successfully managed to escape. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I am always happy to hear feedback or answer any questions :)

Popular Posts